Notice: Uninitialized string offset: 0 in /var/www/archive/wp-content/themes/vei/page-ap-vei.php on line 27
American Portfolios (AP) and Virtual Enterprises International, Inc. (VEI) are pleased to announce the AP-VEI Internship Fellows Program, a national initiative designed to help transform students into young professionals while building a major talent pipeline for American Portfolios and its branches.
This five-week internship program—from July 7 to Aug. 12, 2016—is sponsored by American Portfolios and provided by VEI, an educational non-profit that develops skills and competencies for the workplace and business careers through its apprenticeship model encompassing 12,000 students throughout 19 states. VEI students gain a year of daily work experience by developing and running companies in their classroom, engaging in trade as part of a global network of student-run businesses.
The Opportunity for AP Branches and Offices
- Employ a job-ready, highly-motivated, tech-savvy student.
- Increase your profile in your community as a leader and model of how the education and business communities can partner to develop America’s workforce.
- Help a student in your community develop invaluable work experience.
- Play a proactive role in developing our nation’s, your business and the financial service industry’s future workforce.
- Network with leading business professionals who supervise and serve as role models for VEI students.
AP-VEI Internship Fellows Program Details
American Portfolios will provide
- A substantial contribution to VEI to subsidize the cost of providing the interns.
- Orientation to the financial services industry and to AP, its technology and how our branches work.
- Coordination between AP branches/advisors and VEI.
- Press release to local newspapers announcing the internship initiative.
VEI will provide
- Pre-screened, high-achieving, motivated, career-minded students who have participated in VEI’s experiential business program.
- Coordination between AP branches/advisors and the intern candidates to schedule interviews.
- Payroll management, bearing liability and issuing intern stipend checks.
- In-depth orientation and training for interns.
- Monitoring of the interns’ progress throughout the course of the internship period.
VEI interns will provide
- Support to the branch/advisor for 30 hours per week from July 7 to August 12, 2016.
- Specific skills including Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, clerical support and social media expertise.
How It Works
- The Organization (business) will complete the Business Sponsor Application to sponsor an intern by May 15, 2016.
- Students interested in an internship will complete the Intern Application and upload their resume to the application no later than May 15, 2016.
- VEI staff will review student applications/resumes and conduct an initial interview of the candidates.
- VEI staff will work with the Organization to schedule interviews during the first week of June with several internship candidates who meet the criteria outlined in the business sponsor application.
- The Organization will inform VEI staff of the selected internship candidate.
- Students work 30 hours per week for five weeks, starting July 7 and concluding August 12.
- Interns are onboarded and paid directly through VEI.
- VEI staff monitors the progress of the intern through the course of the internship through worksite visits and phone communication.
- At the end of the internship, the intern completes a written reflective exercise, the worksite supervisor completes a student evaluation, and the student completes a self-evaluation. This information is detailed in the Brochure for Interns and in the Brochure for Employers, both of which will be distributed before the internship begins.
Review the Inside the Internships feature to read about the experiences of VEI summer interns and their employers.
If you have any questions about the AP-VEI Internship Fellows Program, please contact Iris Blanc, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.